Friday, May 23, 2014

How it's made: It's A Trap!

It's A Trap! - 2013

I have a love hate relationship with the time spent taking this photograph.

This specific image was a breakthrough for me because I finally figured out how to successfully photograph black colored LEGO (lots of strategically placed index cards and carefully bounced light)

with only 7 frogs on hand for the photo shoot it was necessary to combine several photos

This photo was also a huge pain to shoot. Unfortunately when you correctly photographic black LEGO you can also see every speck of dust. I physically removed as much dust as I could (Vader had been sitting around gathering dust for years) and removed what little remained digitally.

Color correction, brightness/contract correction and more frogs added
The Vader minifigure is precariously balanced and he kept tipping over when I would begin to place the frogs on him or if I would accidentally bump the table.

I only had a limited amount of frogs (7) so I had to take several photographs and combine those together to get the small horde of attacking frogs I wanted. Looking at the final image now I am suffering from Spielberg regret and I should have added more frogs.

Final corrected photo
Overall this photo was an extreme exercise in patience, but it was worth the time and frustration.

So next time you are walking around and randomly see a small group of frogs, steer clear or you may be the victim of a random attack.

No comments:

Post a Comment